Sunday Worship 11:00 am
13 Elliot Barker Lane
(next to Moreno Valley Health Clinic)
P.O. Box 286
Angel Fire, New Mexico 87710
“FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN”
Thanks for your interest in our Servant Event Program. Below is information that will help you to determine if our program is something in which you would like to participate.
Christ Our Savior Lutheran Church is a small congregation in a unique setting– a mission church located in a high mountain valley. The beauty of the surroundings and the cool climate are just some of God’s glorious gifts to the people who live or visit here. The Village itself is made up of a ski and golf resort and the infrastructure needed to support the few permananent and many seasonal residents. Angel Fire and the surrounding areas have many people with hardships and limitations who are in need of help. Christ Our Savior Lutheran Church attempts to provide assistance with some of these needs through hosting Servant Events. These events provide an opportunity for all to grow in the meaning of having a servant heart.
Our Events also provide time for spiritual learning and growth through daily Bible study, devotions and reflection; and assessment of achievements against Event goals. There is also time for recreation and the enjoyment of God’s creation.
SERVANT EVENT INFORMATION
Location: Angel Fire, NM — home of “FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN” Servant Events.
Dates in 2020
- June 6-13, 2020
- June 20-27, 2020
- July 11-18, 2020
- July 25-August 1, 2020
For information on reservations, rules for use of facility, ski rentals, or other accommodations, etc. contact Carol Stehling @ 575-377-0546 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
EVENT TYPE: Projects and Outreach for Church and Community
PARTICIPANT AGE: 15-18 MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 20 per event
REGISTRATION COST: $100.00 (includes T-Shirt)
REGISTRATION OPENS: TBD
(registration forms and fees may be sent prior to the 15th)
PHONES: Servant Event Coordinators:
- Diane & Pete Peterson 575-377-2443
- Phil Brooks 281-299-6684 (email@example.com)
- Registration: Carol Stehling 575-377-0546
ARRIVAL TIME: after 3pm Saturday
DEPARTURE TIME: by noon the next Saturday
DESCRIPTION: Servants will participate in a variety of projects for the church and the community for example: construction and repairs, visiting and assisting at the Food Depot (when possible), fire wood processing and delivery, and mountain trail building, and assisting in the three nearby New Mexico State Parks — providing an experience to grow with a servant heart.
CHRIST OUR SAVIOR CHURCH PROVIDES:
- Our building has a sanctuary, a small meeting room, the office, the entry, men’s and women’s bathrooms each with a single shower (paper products provided), and a large kitchen with a stove with oven, a refrigerator with freezer, a microwave, pots and pans, dishes and flatware.
- Foosball Table.
- Full-size Volley Ball Court.
- Sheltered Picnic Tables.
- Fire Ring (can be used only with permission from the fire department).
- Church members will provide a welcome meal and the desert for the Commissioning Service.
- Morning and evening devotions.
SERVANT ATTENDEES PROVIDE:
- Cook own meals, eat out or do take out.
- Keep the church locked at all times if no one is there–this means all three doors and the windows closed–you will be given a key when you arrive and you will return it to a coordinator upon leaving.
- Woodshed tools are for trained users only–damaged or broken items must be repaired or replaced.
- The thermostat must remain at the temperature designated by the coordinators.
- Use your own vehicles and provide your own gas for all activities.
- Before returning home the church and grounds must be cleaned–a cleaning check list will be provided.
- Use the sanctuary for sleeping, move the chairs to the perimeter to make room and reconfigure them for any services.
- The wood cover for the foosball table may be stored in the meeting room when the table is in use (for services the cover needs to be on).
WHAT TO BRING
- Sturdy work clothes and shoes for building or painting.
- Warm clothes for cooler days and nights.
- Casual clothes for free time and church services.
- Personal items (include sun block).
- Bedding: sleeping bag, pillow(s), and air mattress if wanted.
- Bath towels and wash cloths.
- Rain gear/water repellent.
- Food for group (there is a grocery store in town).
- Paper/plastic products for eating.
- Musical instrument(s).
- Any special items our coordinators may ask for.
WHAT TO DO IN & AROUND ANGEL FIRE
Angel Fire offers beautiful mountain scenery. It is located in the Moreno Valley at an elevation of 8,300 feet. We are surrounded by the southern tip of the Sangre de Christo mountains including New Mexico’s highest mountain, Wheeler Peak at over 13,000 feet. Our village is small with about 1,500 permanent residents and the population rising in the summer and during ski season. In the summer we usually have cool nights, warm days and afternoon showers.
LOCAL THINGS TO DO:
- HIKING: we have a lot of local trails.
- MOUNTAIN BIKING.
- FISHING: our village lake is usually well stocked – there is a fee and you need your own gear.
- HORSEBACK RIDING: fee required.
- CHAIRLIFT RIDES: fee required.
- VIETNAM WAR MEMORIAL & CHAPEL.
- GOLF: fee required.
- GYMNASIUM: time would need to be scheduled.
- TAOS: rafting, museums, galleries, shopping, & swimming.
- EAGLE NEST: lake and bank fishing.
- RED RIVER: hiking, fishing, shopping, & jeep tours.
- CIMARRON: museums, Cimarron Canyon, frontier museums & Philmont Scout Ranch.
1. COMMUNITY PROJECTS: building and/or maintaining hiking trails, and helping with other community non-profit agencies programs.
2. AT OUR CHURCH: interior and exterior maintenance, finishing work on and around our storage container.
3. AT HIDDEN LAKE: process and load fire wood for delivery.
1. NEW BLINDS FOR THE SANCTUARY and MEETING ROOM
(this project would require funding through donations).
*ALL Projects are subject to change due to scheduling, timing and the weather. We try very hard to plan all projects so they will provide a service and work experience to help people and organizations.